The Red Setter, Jagger who tragically died after returning home to Belgium around 26 hours after competing at Crufts has been confirmed to of died from poisoning. The poisoning though could not of occurred at Crufts, because the poison was fast acting and severe symptoms would of occurred within half an hour to three hours of ingestion. My heart goes out to Jagger's owners, it must be hard to comprehend why ?
The autopsy last week reported pieces of beef found in the stomach with a substance on it and now with the toxicology report confirmation of poisoning and timing of death, these pieces of beef must of been laced with the poison. I have heard reports of dogs being poisoned in Germany in a similar way, with poisoned meat being left indiscriminately where it is popular to walk dogs. Unfortunately their are some sick people out there.
The two poisons are carbofuran and aldicarb. Carbofuran is one of the most toxic carbamate pesticides and was banned across Europe in 2008. Carbofuran has one of the highest acute toxicities to humans of any insecticide widely used on field crops (only aldicarb and parathion are more toxic). A quarter teaspoon (1 ml) can be fatal. Most carbofuran is applied by commercial applicators using closed systems with engineered controls so there is no exposure to it in preparation because it is so toxic to humans. Aldicarb the other poison is considered even more toxic and is also banned in Europe, so the poor dog did not stand a chance.
These poisons have been in the past used in rural areas of a number of European countries to kill animals that were considered harmful for human activities and in Spain reports of their use is still common throughout the entire country, thought to be coming in via the neighbouring African continent where there seems a limited awareness of the population about the dangerousness of these compounds.
One wonders how someone has these two poisons ? Either they work for a chemical company ? Work in agriculture ? Those that work in agriculture are not being very careful with how they account for poisons they have left over after use ? or the most probable is the black market ? These are not the kind of substances you should have just lying about the place. For me the use of such poisons in this way begs more questions about the use and governing of such substances in agriculture around the world, because what if the next pieces of beef laced with poison are picked up by a child ?
“The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you,but he will make a fool of himself, too.”
― Samuel Butler
Me with Bumble and Blottie, waiting patiently to be unleashed, November 2018
Hello, I am Jane, you might of guessed, I love dogs. We are situated in the North Devon countryside, England, United Kingdom. Our home is occupied by my husband, David, our children, pack of dogs and me.